We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
~ Walt Disney
Have you heard the saying, “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always got?” The origins aren’t quite known, but the meaning sure is clear. If something isn’t really working out, perhaps it’s time to think of a new strategy. Change can be hard and scary. It can be uncomfortable, but sometimes it’s just the exact thing we need to connect all the dots between teaching and learning. So, move forward embracing new ways and new people in your life. You may just benefit from the new paths that unfold.
The last few weeks we have embraced a lot of new at SPARK!
- We went on our first Grady Cluster Elementary School field trip with Hope Hill, Mary Lin and Morningside to the Atlanta Symphony and we had a great time and learned a lot.
- We celebrated Red Ribbon week with our students and we had to change some procedural things in our cafeteria to make sure that our students were eating the “majority” of their lunch while listening to classical music.
- We revamped our STEAM week from years past to provide our kids with some amazing experiences during the school day. Students participated in activities that helped them think critically and problem solve while allowing them to “struggle” productively. Learning is about making mistakes, reflecting and trying again and it has been a blast watching our kids grow.
In the next few weeks you will see some additional “new” things that are happening at SPARK!
- Additional fencing around the front of the building on the Briarcliff side
- New construction on a dumpster enclosure on the Ponce side of the school
- A new piece of playground equipment called a “GAGA Ball” court. (Check out the YouTube video to get an idea of what it is) Coach Harrison will be working with the kids in P.E. to learn the rules. He will also be teaching the teachers on the rules of GAGA Ball on November 6th.
- A new half court “VersaCourt” for basketball and 4 Square on the playground will be coming soon as well
We will also have our 1st SPARK Color Fun Run with the theme of “We SPARK Minds!”. The kickoff will be Monday, October 29th, and information went home on Thursday regarding how you can support your child in their run on November 8th.
Lastly, thanks for being a part of our wonderful SPARK community. We had an amazing turn out for SPARK STEAM night! Our PTO, parent volunteers, partners, teachers and students made the night a huge success and we are thrilled that we can provide our community with these experiences. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Don’t forget to vote on November 6th or early vote now! Use the hashtag #SPARKVotes and tweet a picture of you with your peach sticker on twitter!
Hope you had a great weekend!
Mr. Terry Harness